Frequently Asked Questions

  • Do I have a choice which County I file for divorce in?

    You can choose to file for divorce in the county where you reside, or where your spouse resides. If you’ve recently moved to Texas, you need to know that Texas Law requires you to have lived within the state for a minimum of six months before you can gain jurisdiction in any Texas County.

  • How do I establish my rights as a parent?

    There are a number of steps involved in doing this, but the first is to prepare for, schedule and appear at a temporary hearing in a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR). This suit can include asking for child visitation, child support or health insurance coverage as well as a geographical restriction. NOTE: If you are the child’s parent but you’re not sure your paternity has been LEGALLY established, you must determine what course of action, if any, may be needed prior to entering into an SAPCR. If you’re not sure whether paternity of your child has been legally established, click here to read Texas Paternity Law: Frequently Asked Questions.

  • How is property divided in a divorce?

    This is part of the process that your attorney will help you review so that your rights are clear. The best situation, of course, is for you and your spouse to reach a fair and just division of property. If that is not possible, then a process may be used to distinguish what is community property (co-owned by the two and divided accordingly) and what is separate property (exclusively belonging to one spouse). Whatever property the husband and wife cannot agree to divide, the court will divide based on fairness.

  • How much does it cost to hire a personal injury attorney?

    Our firm works on a contingency basis, which means that if you don’t recover money in your personal injury case, we don’t get paid — even though we encounter expenses. We are often able to help you obtain medical care without any out-of-pocket expense to you. In our first consultation with you, we will need as much accurate information as possible so we can be confident you will win before pursuing the case.

  • Should I give an accident report to the insurance company?

    This is one of the most common mistakes we see. Too often, when clients first contact us they will state that they’ve already given an accident report to the insurance company. It is imperative that information is not provided in this manner, since typically victims of car (and other) accidents don’t immediately know the full extent of their injuries. Sometimes, it’s days before injuries begin to reveal their full course. Because the insurance company can and will use any reports of “lesser” injuries against you, it is very important to never speak to them about the accident with first retaining and consulting a lawyer.